Saturday, September 13, 2014

Review: The Professional Freelancer by Rory Scherer

Goodreads

After being laid off at my latest company that fell victim to insider fraud, and the job market at its lowest point in years, I decided to follow the advice of my self-made millionaire friend and become 'The Professional Freelancer'. Spiraling out of control, I found myself involved in several extremely dangerous situations that strangely all seem to be connected involving the mafia, a Korean street gang, a white-collar crime, and masterminding the annual euchre championships at a senior citizens retirement home.
 ---
The Professional Freelancer is a humorous ebook that was not written in a traditional format. It was written from the protagonist’s point-of-view. He is talking directly to you; the reader.


 My Rating

4 


My Review

Sometimes, as a reader, you don't want a serious book that is going to have you crying yourself to sleep for the next couple of nights. Sometimes you don't want a lengthy epic that makes you feel like the running guy in Monty Python's The Holy Grail. Sometimes, you simply want a short read that is a ton of fun and thoroughly enjoyable. When you experience one of those times, The Professional Freelancer is a wonderful way to satisfy that craving.

The book reads as if the protagonist is sharing his story directly to us, which is a pretty cool spin on the first person perspective. It allowed to me to connect to him easily, as he begins in a realistic and fairly common situation - before it spirals a bit out of hand. Plus, the writing has such a fantastic and memorable voice, with some of the best analogies I've seen in my life. I definitely appreciated the sense of humor, which persisted throughout the entire novel. An impressive feat alone - only improved by the many references to movies and music (all of which I understood).

But nearly every character, even the ones that only appear for a few pages, were all very enjoyable and well-developed. Even some of the gang members, which normally feel a bit more cinematic, felt fairly authentic. They all had distinct personalities, which definitely made for a more interesting read.

The pacing of The Professional Freelancer is fast and exciting. Even before the action of the gangs really get moving, the strong characterization carries the novel easily. The pages keep turning, and had my chuckling to myself nearly the entire run. I enjoyed reading it, and recommend it to anyone looking for a quick read with a nice laugh.


No comments:

Post a Comment